In the age of digital media, movies have become an integral part of our children’s lives. They serve as a source of entertainment, a tool for education, and a medium for inspiration.
However, as a parent, ensuring that your child’s content is engaging, age-appropriate, and aligns with your family values is crucial. It is where kid-friendly movie review sites come into play.
The Importance of Movie Review Sites for Parents
Choosing a movie for a family movie night or for your child to watch can be daunting. With the vast array of options available on various streaming platforms, how do you sift through the noise and select a suitable movie for your child’s age and maturity level?
It is where movie review sites designed with kids in mind become an invaluable resource.
These movie review sites provide detailed information about a movie’s content, including elements of violence, language, sexual content, and thematic issues.
They offer a breakdown of the movie’s content, allowing you to decide whether it is appropriate for your child.
A Closer Look at Kid-Friendly Movie Review Sites
Let’s delve into some of the most popular and reliable movie review sites that are specifically designed to aid parents in choosing appropriate movies for their children.
Common Sense Media
Common Sense Media is a comprehensive resource for parents. It provides age-specific ratings and reviews for movies, TV shows, books, apps, and more. The movie reviews detail each movie’s educational value, positive messages, language, violence, and consumerism.
Common Sense Media’s ‘Parents Need to Know’ section sets Common Sense Media apart. This section provides parents with a detailed overview of the movie’s content, allowing them to make an informed decision.
Additionally, it includes a section for parent and kid reviews, offering different perspectives on the movie’s content.
Kids-In-Mind offers a unique rating system. It rates movies based on three categories: sex/nudity, violence/gore, and profanity. Each film scores 0 to 10 in these categories, giving parents a clear idea of the content.
The site also offers detailed descriptions of scenes falling under these categories, allowing parents to judge if it suits their child. This level of detail can benefit parents of younger children or those with specific sensitivities.
Parent Previews takes a unique approach to movie reviews. It grades movies based on how well they promote family values, social-emotional learning, and character strengths. It also provides a traditional content overview, making it a comprehensive resource for parents.
The site also includes a ‘Talking Points’ section for many movies, providing parents with suggested discussion topics to engage their children in conversation about the themes and issues presented in the movie.
Dove Family Friendly Movie Reviews
The Dove Foundation provides a “Dove rating” that indicates how family-friendly a movie is.
It also offers a content description and a moral/ethical report, making it an excellent tool for parents concerned about a movie’s moral and ethical implications.
The Dove rating system is based on traditional Judeo-Christian values, making it a valuable resource for families who want to ensure the movies they watch align with them.
Maximizing the Use of Movie Review Sites
While these movie review sites provide a wealth of information, using them effectively is essential. Here are some tips to get the most out of these resources:
- Check multiple sites: Different movie review sites may focus on different aspects of a movie’s content. Various sites can give you a well-rounded view of a movie’s appropriateness for your child.
- Involve your child: Use these sites as a tool to discuss with your child why you might deem a movie inappropriate. It can promote media literacy and critical thinking skills in your child.
- Remember, reviews are subjective: What one parent finds inappropriate, another might not. Use these sites as a guide, but trust your parent’s judgment. You know your child best.
We’d love to hear from you! Have you used any of these movie review sites before? [poll here]
Did you know that the movie “Inside Out” was praised for depicting emotional intelligence, and some consulted psychologists during its production to ensure the accuracy of its themes?
Or did the creators of “Moana” spend time in the South Pacific to ensure cultural accuracy and respect? These behind-the-scenes facts add another layer of appreciation for these kid-friendly movies!
Tips for a Perfect Family Movie Night
Planning a family movie night? Here are some tips:
- Choose the movie in advance: Use the movie review sites above to select an appropriate and enjoyable movie for the whole family.
- Prepare snacks: Popcorn, fruit, and other easy snacks can enhance the movie-watching experience.
- Create a comfortable viewing area: Gather pillows and blankets for a cozy viewing spot.
- Discuss the movie afterward: Ask your kids what they thought about it. Discuss its themes and messages.
In the digital age, being a parent means being media-literate. Kid-friendly movie review sites are valuable tools that empower parents to make informed decisions about their children’s screen time.
Movie review sites provide a wealth of information that can help you navigate the vast landscape of digital media and select entertaining and enriching movies for your child.
So, remember to check out these movie review sites next time you plan a movie night or allow your child some screen time. Your guide to stress-free, kid-safe viewing is just a click away!
Here are a few family-friendly movies that are highly rated for their themes of emotional intelligence and cultural sensitivity:
- Inside Out: serves as a fantastic medium for children to grasp the concept of emotions. The narrative unfolds within the mind of a young girl named Riley, where five emotions personified—Joy, Sadness, Anger, Fear, and Disgust—guide her life’s journey.
- Coco: a lively film from Disney/Pixar, delves into the customs of the Day of the Dead, a celebrated Mexican holiday. The story centers around a young boy, Miguel, who harbors a dream of becoming a musician, even in the face of his family’s prohibition of music.
- Moana: is a film set against the backdrop of Polynesia, revolving around a young girl who embarks on a nautical journey to rescue her people. During her adventure, she encounters the demigod Maui and gains profound insights into the history and mythology of her culture.
- The Lion King: is a timeless film that serves as an excellent narrative for children grappling with responsibility and maturity. The plot traces the life of a young lion prince, Simba, whose scheming uncle deceives him into believing he is responsible for his father’s demise, leading him to seek refuge in exile.
- Finding Nemo: tells the story of Marlin, a clownfish who is excessively protective of his son, Nemo, who has a smaller-than-normal fin. When Nemo ventures too close to the surface to assert himself, he is captured by a diver, prompting Marlin to embark on a quest to rescue him.
- Zootopia: unfolds in a metropolis inhabited by anthropomorphic animals, where an inexperienced rabbit police officer and a skeptical fox con artist must join forces to unravel a deep-seated conspiracy.
- Toy Story (series): The “Toy Story” series reveals the hidden world of toys when left alone, serving as a beautiful narrative to impart lessons about the importance of friendship and loyalty to children.
- Frozen (1 and 2): The “Frozen” series traces the journey of two royal siblings, Elsa and Anna. These films are excellent tools to educate children about the profound bond and love between sisters.
- The Incredibles (1 and 2): The “Incredibles” series centers around a superhero family striving for a tranquil suburban existence, only to be compelled into action to safeguard the world.
- Up: is a heartwarming tale about Carl Fredricksen, a senior widower, and Russell, a sincere young boy. Carl embarks on a remarkable journey to the wilds of South America by attaching thousands of balloons to his house, fulfilling his dream and promise to his late wife.